Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 296: We have a winner

Yesterday's guessing game didn't last Long   Kooch won it on only the 2nd guess when he correctly identified it as Olive.  I'm not sure how he was able to identify it so quickly, maybe he'll chime in.

Tonight I turned a piece from the same tree that was in contact with the burl section.  Here there was a little sliver of heartwood but not nearly as much as I would expect from what what a fairly large tree.













I also started working on a Desert Ironwood hollow form.  One of the forums I frequent is having a challenge where members are encouraged to turn 2 pieces.  An art piece and a utility piece and to explain what makes one art while the other is utility.  It's an interested in exercise and I'm thinking that this may be my art piece, I'm leaning towards doing a small lid and finial and possibly a pedestal in contrasting wood, perhaps something like Maple or Holly.

No comments:

Post a Comment